Computer does not start after touching motherboard

Anthony Ch 16:00 10 Mar 2019

Hi, So today I was taking some measurements inside my computer case cause I want to change my GPU. I did the mistake of keeping the computer on while doing it. I accidentally touched the motherboard with the metal piece of the measuring tape. At this time, the computer started to ventilate at max speed and nothing was on screen. I stopped the power supply and tried to restart the computer. The same now happens when I start the computer: it starts, ventilation is at max speed, but nothing appears on screen. How can I solve this? Any help on what I did and how to fix would be appreciated. Thanks Best regards Anthony

wee eddie 16:57 10 Mar 2019

You shorted out the parts the ruler touched. A new MOBO is,very likely, the only solution

KEITH 1955 10:09 11 Mar 2019

Hi Anthony , sorry to hear of your problem , as eddie says you have probably damaged the mobo so heres a few tips.

Bearing in mind the cost of another new mobo you also need to invest in an anti static wrist strap for when you fit the new board , static electricity is a component killer.

In some pc disasters there is also a knock on effect so as soon as you are up and running again do a complete systems check , run a full error check for corrupted data on all hard drives and type memory diagnosis into search box to run a complete ram check.

Most important …………. when fitting the cpu to the new board don't forget the thermal paste , its surprising in the rush to finish just how many users forget this.

Anthony Ch 10:25 11 Mar 2019

HI, Thanks for your help and advice. "do a complete systems check , run a full error check for corrupted data on all hard drives" : How do I do that?

I am also looking for a new motherboard to replace this one. I have a gigabyte B85M-DS3H rev 2.0 with 2 x 8Go DDR3 ram and an intel i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501MHz, 4 core. Unfortunately, they don't seem to sell this anymore. What else can I buy that would be compatible with my components?

Thanks Best regards, Anthony

rickf 12:06 11 Mar 2019

Just make sure it's compatible with your CPU. Best to look for one that is both compatible and take a higher spec cpu. This way you have room for upgrading the cpu when you need to. Personally, I would go for one that takes i7 but this would mean you have to buy an i7 cpu too.

KEITH 1955 12:42 11 Mar 2019

To check for corrupted data , right click your hard drive icon and choose properties

Anthony Ch 12:45 11 Mar 2019

Thanks. And for the complete system check? How do I do? Best regards Anthony

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?