COMPUTER CRASHES WHEN PLAYING L.O.T.R DEMO DISK

middleroom 14:02 12 Dec 2003

I have tried to play the new l.o.t.r demo disk which was free in last Sunday's mail. After about 1 min. my computer crashes performs a scan and reboots. On completion it states that a serious error has occurred. The details are the following:
C:\DOCUME~1\window~1\locals\temp\WERA.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml
C:\WINDOWS\minidump\mini 121203-01dmp

I am hoping to buy the game but worried that it will do the same as the demo? Do i need to uprgrade anything? I am using xp pro 512mb + 70gb

Any help would be appreciated

Jester2K II 14:59 12 Dec 2003

The details are the following: C:\DOCUME~1\window~1\locals\temp\WERA.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

We'll need the contents of that file to know whats happened...

middleroom 16:14 12 Dec 2003

how do i find the contents of the file? Do i have to play the demo again to see if it crashes?

BrianW 16:57 12 Dec 2003

I had exactly the same experience and binned the disc.

Stuartli 17:39 12 Dec 2003

I've posted details in the past of problems with the Mail on Sunday film trailer CD-ROMs - they upset configurations, alter screen resolution and colour settings and cause a variety of other problems.

Since that time I, along with most others, have made sure that a MoS CD-ROM doesn't come within the length of the living room of our systems.

middleroom 18:54 12 Dec 2003

Straight in the bin it is then.
Have either of you experienced similar problems with actual games?

AndySD 18:57 12 Dec 2003

This has been a problem for many years with Demo games..... you only get a bit of the game and basic configeration settings with them... Normally the problems dont follow with the full game.

middleroom 20:57 12 Dec 2003

thanks for all your advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts