Computer auto restarts when playing any given game

SirBastian2000 18:13 27 Jun 2017

Whenever I play/launch any game, a whirring sound from within the computer suddenly escalates, and the computer immediatley restarts, as shown in the video. This can happen on a loading screen, within only a few minutes of game time, or, it can happen upwards of an hour during gameplay. This happens on almost all games, be it GTA V, Overwatch, Civ V or Rocket League.

Thought at first it could be a heat issue - I used temp monitoring software, all seemed to be fine, but I hoovered it out and bought two new, additional fans anyway, and yet it still happens; as such, I'm not sure if it is temperature, but I'm open to suggestions.

Changing the game settings, such as graphical quality or render distance, etc, etc - does nothing either.

I uploaded a video of this happening to YouTube

wee eddie 18:50 27 Jun 2017

I see that you have downloaded and used software to check the temperatures of the various parts of your PC BUT~~~~~

It is on the floor, a notorious place for dust.

Have you looked inside, particularly between the fins of whatever heat exchange units you use?

SirBastian2000 19:24 27 Jun 2017

Hi there, only a thin, what I would consider to be normal layer of dust lining those areas, certainly nothing that I would imagine to be capable of completley constricitng airflow. I shot a video of inside my PC and an image of main heatsink to give you an idea.

It's weird, had this problem 6 months ago, hoovered it out. Worked alright since, but suddenly started causing problems again, despite hoovering it out, and buying two 6" USB fans. Maybe I need to be more thorough in cleaning?

click here

href

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 27 Jun 2017

Might be worth removing CPU fan and seeing if there is a layer of fluff between fan and heatsink.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

George Bletsis' illustrations capture character and chaos with an effortless touch

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment supprimer son historique Netflix ?