Compatibility of wireless Routers and WLAN cards

bazza11 18:05 27 Oct 2007

My new Dell Inpiron 530 desktop with a WL-138G_V2 WLAN card was delivered last week and I have tried to set it up with my new Aol wireless router, a Netgear DG834Gv3. After unsuccessful phone calls to both Aol and Dell I have got nowhere. Dell tells me that the card they supplied is "not compatible with Vista" and told me to go to a high street shop to buy a compatible one, although they couldn't tell me what was compatible! They are only going to refund me the cost of the card they built into my new computer.
Should I buy a Netgear WG311v3 Destop PC adaptor, or a WG111v2 USB adaptor, or something else? My laptop connects OK to the wireless network. Many thanks.

brundle 18:28 27 Oct 2007

A quick google suggests that device /is/ compatible with Vista, here's the driver from Asus' site;
click here

Can't link you to the page itself, the top level doesn't change at all when you are locating driver software. Try this click here

Spark6 19:46 27 Oct 2007

Are the desktop and router close enough to use an ethernet cable?

bazza11 22:20 31 Oct 2007

Have now been refunded by Dell but still no info from them on best PCI adapter. Should I stick with Netgear and go for the WG311? I have read so many conflicting reports on Amazon.

19falcon70 15:14 12 Jan 2008

Interesting. I ordered a Dell online, and the ONLY option I wanted was a wireless modem. I wanted Vista (I thought)but was prompted: 'only works with XP', so I HAD to get XP. Fine.

They SENT me Vista, with this card 'WS-138G_V2', and it worked, albeit slowly due to Vista. I made them send me XP disks, and now this card doesn't work! Opposite stories!!

19falcon70 15:17 12 Jan 2008

That was 'WL-...', NOT WS

bazza11 16:16 12 Jan 2008

I have ended up removing the card and connecting via an ethernet cable. This works fine as the router is close by, although it gives me less flexbility should I want to move my desktop sometime in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?