compact digital camera

[DELETED] 15:44 11 Dec 2003

I'm looking for an ultra-compact digital camera which is slightly better than a simple 'point and shoot' holiday snapper, while still being fairly easy to use, for about £250-£350. So far i've narrowed it down to either the pentax optio S4, the casio exilim EX-Z4 or the canon digital IXUS 400. All the reviews rave about each because they're 'small and good looking' but i was wondering which one actually takes the best pictures :-)

johnnyrocker 15:47 11 Dec 2003

have a look at the reviews in this months pc advisor.

johnny.

[DELETED] 16:23 11 Dec 2003

Hi Woody!

Checkout the reviews at Steves-digicams,imaging resource,and dpreview. All are very thorough and some even give sample pics.

If you want a camera that's a bit more advanced, have a look at the Olympus C-740 currently £300 @ Jessops.

Hope this helps, Toxin

IClaudio 16:31 11 Dec 2003

I've just bought the Canon PowerShot A70 from click here - about £240 and a lovely piece of kit. This month's PCW (shhh...) gives the A80 best buy, the difference is, it's 4megap and just a few quid more.

[DELETED] 16:52 11 Dec 2003

I have the Canon A70 and agree with IClaudio - it is a very good camera.

One piece of advice - go to a good camera shop such as Jessops and actually handle the different cameras! When I did this the three that had been on my "potential buy" list quickly got scrubbed!

A couple of useful review sites for you are click here and click here

Good Luck!

[DELETED] 17:11 11 Dec 2003

HP HP HP magic cameras and software.

But then it is the only digi camera i have had, so like GroupFC says "hands on test" take a pic in the shop.

[DELETED] 18:35 11 Dec 2003

woody,i have the original ixus1 and it really is an excellent camera.It is metal bodied and fits in your pocket .Good software and all leads supplied.it also has a lithium ion battery which unlike nicads can be recharged any time as they don't have a 'memory'.You can buy extra ones from 7dayshop.com for about £15 aswell as extra memory cards at the best prices.Try click here for looking at the many forums on all cameras.

[DELETED] 19:02 11 Dec 2003

I had a good look around a camera shop this week , wanting to buy a sub £200 digital camera for my daughter , got a Fuji as there on offer with free charger , batteries and memory card.

While i was there i was really impressed with the new Kyocera Finecam SL300R , very small and very very quick at taking pictures , the chap who owns the shop has prints from most cameras and the quality looked good , not the shop i went to click here .

[DELETED] 19:27 11 Dec 2003

look at Fugi Finepix F401 Excelent.

Pamy

[DELETED] 20:02 11 Dec 2003

for the info and suggestions guys, has given me a few more ideas! Think i need to go into a camera shop now and check some of these out :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac music-production software

Comment savoir si votre message a été lu sur Facebook & WhatsApp ?