Is comodo firewall enough to keep PC safe?

rizlo29 21:53 20 Feb 2010

I used to buy Norton AV...but no more. Anyway, Ive been running without AV for a few weeks now and thought it time to install some security.

First of all I downloaded comodo, and that has a AV. Will this be enough to keep system safe if I download a spyware program too?

PS Ive noticed a lot of dialog boxes for comodo already, have the prompts I dont understand. I guess windows firewall knew what was safe? Why so many bleeding prompts?

Anyhow can you tell us the best combo of software to keep computer safe??? I will pay for software, but prefer free.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:13 20 Feb 2010

Microsoft security essentials

click here

rdave13 22:24 20 Feb 2010

I can only show what I use to keep relatively safe on the net. Others might agree or not.
My OS is Windows 7 but same for Vista.

Windows' own firewall but with Windows 7 / Vista firewall controller free;
click here

Avast 5 home; click here , registration required.

Superantispyware proffessional. Try the trial instead of the free version first. If you don't want to pay a one off payment for real-time scanning then it will revert to the free optiom.

click here

Rest of freebies,
spybot s&d (safer-networking site ONLY.)
Spywareblaster. Both s&d and this one provide a blocking of bad sites facility.

Malwarebytes free for occational scanning. Need to update manually as all free programs.

rdave13 22:28 20 Feb 2010

A lot of people sing the praises of MSE, and I use it on a netbook. For some reason I don't think it good enough for a PC if you use banking or similar sites. Not enough setting available for me.
Anyway good hunting. (I dislike the overbloated, nagging Comodo.)

Input Overload 09:30 21 Feb 2010

Why don't you keep the Comodo firewall which is one of the best & use MS for your anti-Virus.

And do a scan weekly with free A Squared. And free Malwarebytes, although I feel it's worth buying Malwarebytes as the full version will block dodgy sites if you set IP Blocking.

provider 2 09:59 21 Feb 2010

Comodo will be fine, but as you`ve noticed, it updates and nags at you more than some people can tolerate.

It`s mostly AV updates you`ll be getting now and that`s not a bad thing. (It used to be quite a lot of Vista compatibility stuff.)

Most of the nagging is from Defence+ which is a kind of internal check that nothing is running that shouldn`t be, or any changes in program behaviour that it hasn`t seen before ... it really doesn`t like changes to its protected registry keys.

Consequently, installing a new program can send it into a bit of a tizzy.

If you prefer Avast (or another AV), it`s best to install Comodo without the AV component to avoid possible conflicts.

provider 2 10:17 21 Feb 2010

... SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes` Anti-malware, and /or SUPERAntispyware ... (all free versions) are very useful additional protections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?