Codec error in WMP V.9?

San Alwigi 00:50 11 May 2003

I recently downloaded some music videos in .avi format and played them successfully on a PC in Windows Media Player (XP, version 9).

I then burnt these files onto a CD and subsequently copied them onto another PC, also running XP and WMP verison 9. However, on play back on this other PC, the WMP player searches for a codec ('sending codec request...')but returns the message 'codec error'. The files then play as audio files only. This happens whether I am online at the time or not.

Any ideas why?

Zaxifone 00:59 11 May 2003

It is probably looking for the Divx codec. You can download it here...

click here

Z.

San Alwigi 12:31 13 May 2003

That has solved it. Perfect!

Zaxifone 17:53 13 May 2003

You're welcome... :D

Z.

San Alwigi 17:10 19 May 2003

...but whereas all the .avi's now play fine, the .mpegs (that played perfectly before) now appear slightly pixelated which is annoying.
Again - any ideas why?

San Alwigi 16:55 02 Jun 2003

er...anyone?

GroupFC 17:12 02 Jun 2003

I'm afraid I don't know the answer but may I suggest that you post your supplementary question as a new thread. The reason i suggest this, is that your initial thread was ticked as resolved, and therefore people who may know the answer may not look at a resolved thread!! (I only looked as I am relatively new to all this and I try to look at as many threads as possible, easpecially concerning media items).

San Alwigi 10:02 06 Jun 2003

I should have thought of that myself!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?