CMOS checksum error

sam2004 20:13 07 Sep 2005

Hi,

I have got a computer which says "CMOS Checksum ERROR - Defaults loaded" when it starts up. It doesn't say it every time it starts up, and is running Windows 98. Another error it sometimes throws up is "NEW CPU Installed".

Does anyone know what this might be about and how I can fix it. I think it might be something to do with a battery near the processor on the motherboard, but I'm not too sure.

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 20:14 07 Sep 2005

Yes, the CMOS battery needs replacing.

Diodorus Siculus 20:14 07 Sep 2005

LiveRepair.com | Encyclopedia | Hardware Tips | CMOS Replace
click here

Mikè 20:15 07 Sep 2005

"I think it might be something to do with a battery near the processor on the motherboard, but I'm not too sure."

Spot on in my opinion, how old is the motherboard?

sam2004 20:18 07 Sep 2005

I'm trying to tidy this computer up before i let someone without a computer borrow it.

sam2004 20:25 07 Sep 2005

i belive this computer was designed to run something like Windows 9x!

it runs at about 100Mhz and the HDD is so old it doesn't have any jumpers i can see!

Well, it does the job for me. and will soon be doing the job well for swomeone with no computer once i have built myself another desktop :)

Its a good computer though i must say, for some reason i preferre old computers to new ones becuae they seem to have more charachter.

Thanks
Sam

DieSse 23:27 07 Sep 2005

Replacing the battery on this might vary from difficult to impossible - can you actually spot the battery? If so please describe it.

Diodorus Siculus 07:04 08 Sep 2005

Some of these batteries are large blocks that need to be taped to the case; most decent PC shops still have these.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?