CMOS checksum error

Bonzy 10:41 13 Dec 2004

Hello friends, I need your help here. A friend's AMD pc running Win98SE has run into a problem. When the pc has been on for quite a while, sometimes the monitor just goes off and moving the mouse or pressing a key does not wake it up. It happened last night and I tried to switch off the CPU but I noticed I had to keep my finger on the switch for a long time before it could switch off. Then I switched it back on again, but just after the drive detection bit it gave an error message saying:

CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded.
Press F1 to continue.

I did that and it booted ok, but i dread the fault happening again. What exactly is happening and how do I correct this problem. Please help out. Thanks in advance.

Graham ® 10:53 13 Dec 2004

The CMOS battery has failed.

Graham ® 11:00 13 Dec 2004

click here for a guide.

Bonzy 08:12 22 Dec 2004

Thanx friends. I took out the CMOS battery, measured voltage , it was 3....V; I left it out for about 1hr and put in a new one I'd just bought. When I restarted the pc pc, the same message came up on the screen. Shd I take it that it is the motherboard that has to be replaced? Or should I leave it? becos pressing F1 on startup makes the pc fine to use. Thanx again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:55 22 Dec 2004

Sounds like at 3v the old battery was ok.

Reset the Bios then reboot into windows. shut down and reboot again, with a good battery you should not get the CMOS error again.

If you do then the BIOS is corrupted but can be cured with a BIOS flash. Get the BIOS info Award / AMI and date as shown top corner of screen at first part of boot.

Graham ® 10:04 22 Dec 2004

Sorry to hear that. In your first post you said the message 'defaults loaded' was displayed, so doing that manually may not be the answer.

Any new hardware been fitted recently?

And the monitor turning off is a puzzle. Perhaps a scan with A² click here

Graham ® 10:07 22 Dec 2004

Emisoft not responding at the moment, try later.

Bonzy 10:36 23 Dec 2004

Thanx. I noticed the monitor and indeed the cpu had been configured in power management to turn off after some set times; I've reset the to "Never" under pwr management. the switching off headache is gone.

Bonzy 13:36 24 Dec 2004

Fruit Bat /\0/\, how do I reset the BIOS? I hear there's some re-jumpering etc to do. Which jumper is it and where on the m/board is it? Thanx in advance.

Bonzy 11:49 28 Dec 2004

Thanks a million.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs