Cmd process popping up every so often

Etiological 06:26 13 Dec 2016

Hello all, I just created an account now because I'm struggling to deal with a problem on my computer - hopefully someone with a better understanding of system processes can help me out a bit.

I recently had to reset my computer to fix a problem with inability to select the task bar or open the start menu, ever since then I've been having a problem with a cmd process occasionally opening and disappearing - too fast for me to read unfortunately; it's near instant.

It is quite annoying, especially in the middle of a game when it makes the game semi ALT+Tab (essentially pausing the game) and forcing me to ALT-Tab back in. I took some initiative and ran process monitor in order to catch what is opening cmd, I've included the image:

If someone could please help me with this nuisance, I would be most grateful.

Archonar 08:49 13 Dec 2016

One of the processes is Bitsadmin and I have heard of this causing a similar problem before. There is a forum thread on a windows forum with a solution that might solve your issue, so I'd recommend giving that a try before we try anything else - click here.

Archonar 08:51 13 Dec 2016

Apologies, that link takes you to page 4 of the thread, you will need to go back to the first page and work your way through the full thread for the solution.

Secret-Squirrel 09:26 13 Dec 2016

Etiological, there is indeed something a tad suspicious going on. It looks like a scheduled task is being triggered regularly.

If you're up for investigating some more then open the Windows Task Scheduler and look in the "Task Status" and "Active Tasks" sections for that pesky "bitsadmin" or "Task3". If you find it then double click on it to view the full details then post another screenshot.

If you don't want to investigate further then run a malware scan using the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Just remember to untick the option for the free trial near the end of the installation.

Let me know how you get on please.

Govan1x 12:27 13 Dec 2016

Secret-Squirrel

Just a matter of interest and I know you must have a reason but why would you untick the option of a free trial.

I find that the free trial is the part of Malwarebytes that finds the most problems and after a week or two weeks it reverts back to the free version.

Secret-Squirrel 15:16 13 Dec 2016

...........but why would you untick the option of a free trial.

Because when the trial expires, the request for payment may worry some users.

..I find that the free trial is the part of Malwarebytes that finds the most problems...........

Rubbish. In the context of this thread where I've asked the OP to scan his system, the scanning, detection, and removal engines are identical. In fact, because the Free version doesn't have a "Hyper Scan" option it means that only a full, thorough system scan can be performed. And that of course is a good thing.

Etiological 15:43 14 Dec 2016

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, but I fixed it! BitsTransfer was trying to download a file - so I used FRST64.exe and made a fixlist.txt file; with "CMD: bitsadmin /reset /allusers" as the only line in the txt file.

Making sure FRST64.exe and the fixlist.txt I created are both on the desktop, I then run FRST64.exe and click "Fix". I've had no further problems.

Archonar 15:22 15 Dec 2016

Glad to hear you've sorted it, could you mark the post that solved it as the answer for anyone with the same problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Climate change, War and #MeToo: 'Ugly Truth' Christmas jumpers show the dark side to modern life

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?