Cloud storage for a small club. Help please.

tech291pca 18:57 29 Jul 2018

Not sure you guys can help with this one; I have looked everywhere for a facility that would allow our sports club to locate it's files 'in the cloud' so that any one of the officials can access them as and when required. Just a simple common storage location, that's all. Synchronisation not needed, I just want to post a number of files that people can access and either read there (optional) or download if required (essential). Access would be by up to about ten people and it would be good if they each had their own password but even that's not mandatory. The data needs to be encrypted in transmission and storage.

I know about Google drive and Dropbox and many more but they do too much. Simple is good. We don't need massive storage as it would only be for word files etc. Cost is important too by the way - as a club we can't afford much but know it can't be limited to 'free'.

Any suggestions?

conrail 19:08 29 Jul 2018

I use Hubic, click here which is quite easy, they have do a free version

Forum Editor 22:36 29 Jul 2018

Does the club have a website?

If it does, you can easily host these files on the site. Each person could have a separate password, and download the files without any problems. Cost would be nil, because you would already be paying for a hosting package.

tech291pca 23:21 29 Jul 2018

Hi Guys, Thanks for suggestions.

Conrail, I hadn't heard of Hubic and it looks interesting but for comments on it's forum where people seem to question payments and general reliability. I won't discount it though.

Forum Editor; yes, we do have a Wordpress website hosted by GoDaddy. Wouldn't have been my choice but it is what it is. I will enquire further to see if we can host on the site. I do know we have had problems with the site running though. Do you know if we could encrypt the info going to and from the site and on the site itself? I ask because of the dreaded GDPR thing and it concerns lists of what would be 'personal data' i.e. a members list etc.

conrail 10:09 30 Jul 2018

used hubic free for a couple of years, never had any problem with them requesting payment from me

Taff™ 13:35 30 Jul 2018

The obvious one as stated is on your own website. As for security it depends what these documents contain! Would national security be interested - Jo Bloggs in the street? As part of a Rugby Referees Society Management we hosted various things for our members - Law interpretations, Procedural Guidelines, Finance Reports, AGM Minutes etc etc etc.

Most were available for general member download but some were limited by access to Management Committees..

GDPR would not be a problem if access to the website or Membership of your group explicitly included a relatively simple implicit agreement to you holding specific personal data like contact details and the like.

To be honest over 5 years ago we simply held an email address, telephone number and a Postcode for those members who were concerned about their privacy only on the basis that a club wishing to contact their referee for a game knew roughly where he lived and could email to confirm the match and phone if it was cancelled!

Taff™ 13:51 30 Jul 2018

The obvious one as stated is on your own website. As for security it depends what these documents contain! Would national security be interested - Jo Bloggs in the street? As part of a Rugby Referees Society Management we hosted various things for our members - Law interpretations, Procedural Guidelines, Finance Reports, AGM Minutes etc etc etc.

Most were available for general member download but some were limited by access to Management Committees..

GDPR would not be a problem if access to the website or Membership of your group explicitly included a relatively simple implicit agreement to you holding specific personal data like contact details and the like.

To be honest over 5 years ago we simply held an email address, telephone number and a Postcode for those members who were concerned about their privacy only on the basis that a club wishing to contact their referee for a game knew roughly where he lived and could email to confirm the match and phone if it was cancelled!

tech291pca 00:31 01 Aug 2018

I'm now currently looking at storage on our website. It's a Wordpress site hosted by GoDaddy and it looks like there are numerous 'plugins' that offer the function of a file manager. I'm not sure if these will do what we need. I'm also not sure how secure the data is. It's data now defined as 'Personal' by the new GDPR thing. It's basically a list of club members with contact details as a minimum. We may also choose to store copies of minutes etc there too so any of the committee can access when required. Again, any comments are invited. I'm fumbling in the dark here :-)

wee eddie 09:24 01 Aug 2018

The recent Data Regulations would frown on you sending lists of Members Addresses to other Members. Such things are meant to be kept, secure, in a protected place

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)