Close AOL in Win98SE

ton 14:52 11 Dec 2003

Does anyone know of a fix that will allow me to closedown AOL while connected with Win98SE?
I can close the connection ok in my XP partition, but if I try it in the Win98 partition it will hang and then come up with WAOL error.

Diemmess 17:01 11 Dec 2003

Possibly a clash of software or settings, but if you get one of the more helpful Chat Agent XXX UK they will suggest deleteing this or that and then letting Aol reconfig the settings it needs.

ton 19:38 11 Dec 2003

Thanks for info Djohn.
I tried both your suggestions (twice) but still the same.
I usually just restart the PC to close AOL.
The problem wasn't there with AOL7 and dial-up, it started when I installed AOL8 and broadband.

Do you think it would do any good to uninstall and reinstall AOL8?

ton 20:25 11 Dec 2003

Thanks Djohn. You mentioned about the AOL updates, I was wondering, if I've never been able to sign off properly, the updates might not have arrived?

I'll put the re-install on hold for a while to see if [email protected]@m finds the number.
Thanks again.

ton 16:58 12 Dec 2003

Djohn, I've been on AOL chat help today about this problem. They gave me several things to try, none of which made any difference.

In the end they gave up and said to phone Technical support.
I said is it ok to go back to AOL7, they said yes.

This got me thinking that as I only really use AOL for the connection (I use IE or Opera), could I go back even further than AOL7 for an even smaller prog?

I wondered if you have experience of older versions that would work with broadband (I have a copy of the broadband modem driver).

ton 22:08 12 Dec 2003

refresh

ton 21:16 13 Dec 2003

Djohn, sorry to hear you weren't well. Hope you are feeling better when you read this.

I haven't bothered to phone tech. support as I'm quite happy to go back to AOL7 (which I have now done).

Using 7 the prog will start and close repeatedly without a problem.

As I said before, I only use AOL for the connection anyway.

If I do need to use AOL8 for some reason I've still got it on my XP partition, where it seems to work fine.

Thanks for your help Djohn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

New Nvidia graphics cards offer 'industry-changing' real-time raytracing on your computer for the…

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Les meilleurs téléphones portables basiques (2018)