Cloning SSD --> partitions question

Jean-Marc Boulier 05:08 23 Mar 2018

Hey guys, I'm cloning a 250GB SSD to a new 500GB SSD. I am using Macrium Reflect which is supposed to do that easily for me but I am not sure about partitions: should I use the default "copy selected partitions" action while cloning? What about the unused space on the new SSD? Doesn't it need to be partitioned too before I can use it?

After clicking and dragging the existing partitions to the new drive, the program shows a grey block of unused space but doesn't let me do anything with it. I'd like to make sure I don't mess up the new drive before starting the procedure.

Jean-Marc Boulier 05:55 23 Mar 2018

OK I found the option that allowed me to increase the partition size and completed the procedure. But Windows only sees the new drive as a 250GB one.

Should I start again and format the new drive as NTFS 500GB first?

Forum Editor 10:38 23 Mar 2018

"What about the unused space on the new SSD? Doesn't it need to be partitioned too before I can use it?"

Yes, it needs to be formatted as an NTFS partition, so starting again as you suggest might be the best solution.

rdave13 12:14 23 Mar 2018

Try MiniTool free first.

Jean-Marc Boulier 15:49 23 Mar 2018

I actually didn't extend the correct partition the first time. Upon repeating the process with the correct partition it finally worked. Thanks.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus