Cloned drive IDE to SATA problem. Help!

fizzog 01:10 21 Jan 2018

I've cloned an old IDE drive onto a new SATA drive but am having problems during boot. The PC can see the SATA drive in BIOS but it doesn't boot up. If I swap out the SATA drive and replace it with my old IDE drive, everything boots up fine. Is there some sort of setting that needs to be activated for the SATA drive to work properly? To confirm, the SATA drive IS recognised in the BIOS drives screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:44 21 Jan 2018

make sure the SATA drive is connected to the lowest numbered SATA port i.e port 0

Check the first boot settings in BIOS are set correctly.

fizzog 11:13 21 Jan 2018

Yeh it's on port 0. The drive has Linux server software on it and when connected to a screen I can see it starting to boot from the cloned drive. But it stops halfway. I've tried cloning onto 2 different SATA drives and exactly the same thing happens.

Is it possible that the server software is configuered to ONLY run on the IDE drive? And when an attempt is made to clone it, it won't work for copyroght reasons? Is this possible?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)