clone shows as not genuine

bumpkin 17:56 26 Oct 2015
Answered

I made a clone of my "C" drive using Macrium which worked fine. I then did exactly the same thing to another HDD and when it booted (from the clone)it said it was not a genuine copy of Win7. Tried a few times with same result which I find odd.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 26 Oct 2015

You are only allowed a few changes of equipment on your PC (seven I think) graphics card HDD motherboard memory cpu etc. before widows thinks its a different PC.

A phone call to MS soon sorts it and they reactivate once you explain you have changed the drive.

bumpkin 19:46 26 Oct 2015
Answer

Thanks Fruit Bat, I managed to get it to work eventually only by repeated tries not anything clever. I have never encountered this before just by cloning a hard drive

bumpkin 20:51 26 Oct 2015

Curious, it was only that one drive that was showing the not genuine message, if I booted from one of the others it was fine. I did change the mobo and CPU last week and had to re-activate but that was no problem, just had to type in the code, not explain anything or even speak to anyone. The windows disk that I have states "licensed for use with the Registered Refurbisher Program" printed on it although I don't know what that actually means.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)