Click sound from PC & corresponding screen stutter

aaron.boland 09:20 05 Feb 2018

Hey everyone,

Hoping you can troubleshoot a slightly odd issue I'm having. My computer regularly emits a single, subtle 'click' or 'tick' sound. It doesn't noticeably affect performance in normal use, but when playing games, I notice a micro-sutter/ lockup on screen as the sound occurs.

I'm struggling to figure out which component this noise is coming from. Even getting inside the case with a stethoscope hasn't helped!

• It can't be the CPU cooler, as I've upgraded it and the sound is still there
  • It can't be the SSD as it has no moving parts and the sound was occurring before I added it
  • I think it was happening before I added in a new graphics card and power supply, but they are both new, good-quality components, anyway
  • I don't see how it could be the CPU, RAM or mobo as they have no moving parts

I suspect the HDD. The issue was happening frequently playing, say, Rocket League from the HDD. Now I've moved it to the SSD, I haven't noticed the issue. Vice City from the HDD is displaying the issue, however.

What do you think? My only doubt with the HDD is that I don't know how it could be causing the issue. I thought, once a game had started, all the content was loaded into RAM?

Any help would be gratefully received - it might stop me from swapping out each component to troubleshoot it :-)

Cheers!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:49 05 Feb 2018

Run chkdsk /f on the HDD

aaron.boland 11:48 05 Feb 2018

Thanks. Will try! And would that detect physical issues?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Quel est le meilleur antivirus pour Windows ?