Cleaning TFT screens?

Inigo 17:51 16 Mar 2004

What do you people use for cleaning TFTs? I know that it's really not a good idea to use chemicals on it, as they have a rather nasty habit of disolving the plastic...

Mat2 17:57 16 Mar 2004

Hi inigo

You could have a look here:

click here

Rayuk 17:59 16 Mar 2004

All I use is compressed air then Lint free damp cloth.

Djohn 18:37 16 Mar 2004

As Rayuk, I do the same using filtered water to damp the cloth and then buff with a soft clean cloth. I've needed to do this umpteen times with my son's laptop [Occasionally with a little mild soap added to the water for stubborn spots] and not a mark on the screen yet.

Had my own TFT for 8 months now and just flick a feather duster over it each day, never needed to use anything else yet.

Filch 18:45 16 Mar 2004

I've used, for years, a cotton ball and Isopropyl Alcohol with no ill effects. Use a damp ball to clean and a dry ball to wipe dry and buff.

fitcher 20:38 16 Mar 2004

I also use a feather duster . my glasses specs cloth. and hot breath .

Mister Splendid 20:43 16 Mar 2004

I use an old cotton lens cloth and RS Anti-static spray.

SGT [email protected] 20:49 16 Mar 2004

i use tft wipes from pc world or a bottle of stuff i got from a pc fair which is better than the wipes , couldnt tell you what its called cos its not labelled , i was dubious too at the time but i picked a random bottle from the table they were on and made the guy test it on one of his tft screens (one i chose) and thats the bottle i bought.

the wipes are £4.99 for 100 in pc world

Dae 21:41 16 Mar 2004

ViewSonic say they will not be liable for damage resulting from the use of alcohol or ammonia-based cleaners. Their advice is to try a soft, dry cloth: for stubborn marks use a mild non-abrasive detergent on a clean, soft, lint-free cloth

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)