Cleaning static dust off screen ?

Noels 09:58 22 Aug 2004

I have just changeed my old computer for a new Sony laptop. I used to wipe my old screen about once a month to remove dust. However after just three days the new computer is thick with dust. I have tried a camera air blower and a soft camera brush but the static appears to be so strong that I just push the dust around into little piles without removing it. Any ideas would be welcome.

Regards Noels

barnacarry 10:38 22 Aug 2004

Try using fabric conditioner, slightly diluted, and wipe the screen. When dry, buff up. Works for TV as well.

jimv7 10:41 22 Aug 2004

On a normal monitor and the tv screen, baby wipes work for me.

Noels 11:00 22 Aug 2004

Thanks for those two suggestions. I was reluctant to try anything until I had read one or two views on the subject The screen appears to be the usual laptop type screen i.e. some sort of plastic? not solid glass like a TV. Any other suggestions welcome Noels.

Dorsai 12:08 22 Aug 2004

I find a feather duster effective both for TV and PC monitor. I guess the feathers pick up the static, and this halps the dust to stick to them.

I too would be wary of cleaning a LCD screen, as you say, they are plastic, and even small amounts of pressure can be seen to distort the image.

rawprawn 12:09 22 Aug 2004

I use a damp cloth on my screen with no problems at all in fact the makers recomend it.

rawprawn 12:09 22 Aug 2004

PS Lightly.

Noels 12:14 22 Aug 2004

I think I may have found the answer to my own question. My wife has been out all morning, on her return I explained the problem. She presented me with a pack of Sainsburys electrostatic 20 disposable cloths. They appear to work like magic. However I will still take note of all your recommendations.

Regards Noel

Dorsai 12:43 22 Aug 2004

If it's recomended by the makers, then you can't go far wrong. Must get me some of those antistatic wipes though.

Stuartli 13:25 22 Aug 2004

The wipes to avoid are those such as Cif glass and window wips which leave a deposit on the screen or glass which is very difficult to remove.

I've always just gently used a soft cloth for my monitor. The best glass cleaner I have ever used is the AutoGlym cream type, but I would have grave doubts about using it on a monitor screen because of the delicate anti-glare coating.

It's fine on TVs though...:-)

€dstowe 13:34 22 Aug 2004

Those new type dusters that are being heavily promoted on TV at the moment are excellent for removing static generated dust. You know the things - blue handled from P&G (Flash) and green handled from SC Johnson (Pledge).

Further to the fabric softener recommendation, I would suggest greatly diluted (rather than "slightly") for this use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts