'cleaning' the registry

mogwai 11:54 17 Aug 2003

I am trying a registry cleaning program on a trial basis. It is the first time I have used one just want to check programs of this type are safe to use? It creates a backup for me before I 'clean' so this should make it safe, it has found over 400 registry entries that can be cleaned, this seems alot to me but the PC is about 4 yrs old?!? Just want to check that this program wont harm my PC, the program is Registry First Aid

JIM 12:12 17 Aug 2003

After 4 yrs the high number of entries is no suprise and as long as you have a back up ,see no problems.

If you do encounter problems make sure you understand how to retrieve from backup.

Chris the Ancient 12:14 17 Aug 2003

Anything that goes probing into, and messing with, the registry is inherently dangerous and catastrophic! So much damage can be caused.

Personally, I would make a PROPER back up of the registry before playing with a Reistry Cleaner. I used such a cleaner - once. Thank goodness I did do a proper back up first because this supposedly neat little program wrecked a lot of stuff.

If it ain't broke, why bother fixing it?

Chris

mogwai 12:30 17 Aug 2003

ok i guess ill leave it for now, does a registry full of obselete entries really slow down the PC that much anyway?

powerless 15:31 17 Aug 2003

4 Years old.

Without a format and reinstall along the way?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts