Cleaning ink jet

Graham ® 09:57 09 Dec 2004

cartridge holders. I have refilled the colour and black cartridges, but as the printer has not been used for a year the cartridge holder 'holes' appear to be blocked.

Has anyone successfully cleaned these? Methylated Spirits, hot water or even steam?

rawprawn 10:04 09 Dec 2004

I once read that you can soak them in warm water, but I have never tried it. Hasn't the machine got it's own cleaning mechanism ?

Graham ® 10:16 09 Dec 2004

Thanks, I'll try that.

The cleaning mechanism consists of wiping over a rubber flap and a brush!

Graham ® 10:26 09 Dec 2004

Google tells me it's Isopropyl Alcohol in new money. I will search for a supplier. Might be more than a new holder + cartridges, though.

Graham ® 10:56 09 Dec 2004

Thanks, both. I was just going to look at Maplins!

Graham ® 11:47 09 Dec 2004

Thanks, I will try them.

Graham ® 14:23 09 Dec 2004

Boots don't stock it.

rawprawn, the warm water is coming through coloured...

I just filled the slots, I don't think soaking the whole thing is a good idea, it's got electronics inside.

rawprawn 14:51 09 Dec 2004

I think it just meant the little "felt" ends, I think that through irregular use they can dry up which stops them working and warm water is meant to free them up. The article I read was someone complaining that his printer wouldn't work but that there was still ink in the cartriges, and this was a suggested solution. As I said I have not tried it, but my cartridges don't have any electronics inside just a resevoir and what looks to be like a piece of felt which extends to the business end.

Stuartli 14:57 09 Dec 2004

My eight-year-old (nearly nine) has a self-cleaning sequence for one, two, three or all four of its separate ink cartridges - it's done by a combination of pressing the buttons used to set various modes for the printer.

A visit to the website of your printer manufacturer should reveal a manual download or an explanation of what is required to do from Support/Downloads or FAQ.

Graham ® 15:11 09 Dec 2004

Thanks, the cleaning sequence command is not a problem, but as my 10:16, 'The cleaning mechanism consists of wiping over a rubber flap and a brush!' That, unfortunately, will not unbung dried ink.

Graham ® 21:29 09 Dec 2004

The warm (not hot or soapy) water is working, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs