Cleaning ink jet

Graham ® 09:57 09 Dec 2004

cartridge holders. I have refilled the colour and black cartridges, but as the printer has not been used for a year the cartridge holder 'holes' appear to be blocked.

Has anyone successfully cleaned these? Methylated Spirits, hot water or even steam?

rawprawn 10:04 09 Dec 2004

I once read that you can soak them in warm water, but I have never tried it. Hasn't the machine got it's own cleaning mechanism ?

Graham ® 10:16 09 Dec 2004

Thanks, I'll try that.

The cleaning mechanism consists of wiping over a rubber flap and a brush!

st.anley 10:18 09 Dec 2004

The reccommended material is Copropanol Alchohol.
It can be diffcult to get hold of. Chemists used to sell it
but big chain chemists and H&S rules seems to have
phased it out. High% Gin/Vodka will do it.
The ink is water soluble to perhas cotton wool/tissue or some such soaked in this and mild/weak detergant and packed into the chamber but not rammed down- to allow the fluid to gravitate with a some thing to soak up the output
under on the papaer track - and simply let it soak a couple of days - slowly slowly does it

JACK on a'patient' machine

st.anley 10:18 09 Dec 2004

The reccommended material is Copropanol Alchohol.
It can be diffcult to get hold of. Chemists used to sell it
but big chain chemists and H&S rules seems to have
phased it out. High% Gin/Vodka will do it.
The ink is water soluble to perhas cotton wool/tissue or some such soaked in this and mild/weak detergant and packed into the chamber but not rammed down- to allow the fluid to gravitate with a some thing to soak up the output
under on the papaer track - and simply let it soak a couple of days - slowly slowly does it

JACK on a'patient' machine

Graham ® 10:26 09 Dec 2004

Google tells me it's Isopropyl Alcohol in new money. I will search for a supplier. Might be more than a new holder + cartridges, though.

Meshuga 10:52 09 Dec 2004

I tried to get Isopropyl Alcohol without success but found a source of cleaning cartridges at cartridgeSAVE.co.uk (spelt as shown).You do not say what printer you have, mine`s an epson C62.They are good for up to 10 cleans. £9.99 each. Might be worth an enquiry. Meshuga.

Gongoozler 10:53 09 Dec 2004

This is an expensive way to buy it, but if all else fails click here

Graham ® 10:56 09 Dec 2004

Thanks, both. I was just going to look at Maplins!

Mango Grummit 11:40 09 Dec 2004

Have you tried Boots for Isopropyl Alcohol?

It shouldn't be hard to find as most, if not all, chemists stock it where I live.

Graham ® 11:47 09 Dec 2004

Thanks, I will try them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)