Clam Anti-Virus - How Good Is It

johndrew 17:28 02 Aug 2007

I use Spyware Terminator which offers ClamAV click here as a bolt on goody along with HIPS.

I can understand that HIPS would be handy for anyone using a firewall without the facility (Windows firewall?) but I have little knowledge of AV software other than AVG which I have (very nearly) used since day one.

Can anyone advise how good ClamAV is when compared to other free offerings such as AVG?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 02 Aug 2007

Clam is pretty reasonable have used it as a standalone AV working off a USB pendrive for clearing out affected PCs.

I prefer AVAST or AVG if using on a Normal PC.

Belatucadrus 17:55 02 Aug 2007
  johndrew 19:35 02 Aug 2007

Hmm. I think the answer is `not very`. I must admit I find an AV that fails to keep its signature base up to date a bit suspect - especially with the manner in which `nasties` are continually evolving.

I shall stick with my AVG.

Many thanks.

SB23 19:43 02 Aug 2007

I remember reading that it was to be avoided, and if memory serves me right it can be difficult to get rid of.
I use Avast and don't have any problems with it, so would recommend thats what you go for, but everyone has their favourites, don't they?

Steve

Belatucadrus 19:47 02 Aug 2007

To be fair the the Clam team they do react to new threats fairly quickly, but it's not a full time job for them as it is for the avast! or AVG update teams and that's one of the reasons I don't recommend it.
Though as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says it's handy to have as a pen drive portable App, though I now prefer Dr Web CureIt click here .

johndrew 09:45 03 Aug 2007

Thanks again people.

Dr Web CureIt bookmarked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?