The Chrome that ate all my memory

LittleBitofKnowledgeDangerous 02:02 28 Jan 2017

Hello, I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7 and my Google Chrome is being attacked and hijacked terribly. I have downloaded and run every Adware, Malware and Antivirus program I can find and often they find nothing. Other times they find some things and I remove and/or quarantine them but that has little or no effect on the problem. I just noticed that right now I have 1 instance of Chrome running with only 1 tab yet my Task Manager shows 10 instances of it listed in the Processes tab Image Name box. Is this normal? Whether it is or not, I really need some help killing whatever is ruining my online experiences and slowing my work capabilities. Thank you in advance for any advice anyone can give.

Secret-Squirrel 09:05 28 Jan 2017

..............right now I have 1 instance of Chrome running with only 1 tab yet my Task Manager shows 10 instances of it listed in the Processes tab........................Is this normal?

It sounds normal to me. Because of the way Chrome works, there'll be one process for the browser, the GPU process, all open tabs, plus a separate process for all loaded extensions.

With Chrome the active window, press the Shift and Esc keys to bring up Chrome's Task Manager, take a screenshot then post it here for me to look at. I may then be able to identify what's going wrong.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:59 28 Jan 2017

The more extensions you have the more will run

In task manager one tab open (this site) I have one chrome app running and 7 background processes, approx 300,000 k in use

rdave13 13:00 28 Jan 2017

press the Shift and Esc keys to bring up Chrome's Task Manager

Thanks for the tip Secret-Squirrel, works in Vivaldi also.

LittleBitofKnowledgeDangerous 20:41 28 Jan 2017

Thanks Secret-Squirrel and Fruit Bat /\0/\ for your replies. Here's the screenshot you requested: hrefhref">"/> Thank you again for your help.

rdave13 20:46 28 Jan 2017

Bad link. You need to use a photo host site and copy the direct link here. This site doesn't cater for image links. link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs