Choosing a web browser what to look for?

compumac 10:20 19 May 2018

I have used IE since time immemorial and middle of last year moved over to Microsoft Edge, which generally I like but there have been several occasions where, not just on my main PC but on other PC’s that I have, - Microsoft Edge will display for a few seconds and then disappears altogether and then after a few days will resurrect itself.

I looked on the web and it does seem that Microsoft Edge is by no means everyone’s favourite.

What do people look for in a web browser?

What browser is the most popular and why?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:56 19 May 2018

Chrome 60% - multiple extensions

IE11 12% - beause thats what people havelways used.

Firefox Quantum 12% - Fast and good bookmarking tool

Opera 1.5% - Fast, built in VPN avoids restrictions (use iplayer in any country)

Vivaldi 0.1% - clear web pages

Edge 4% - works well for touchscreens, very slow.

wee eddie 12:17 19 May 2018

Why stick with just the one?

compumac 12:20 19 May 2018

wee eddie

Why would you want more than one?

Ian in Northampton 12:36 19 May 2018

compumac: very rarely, I find a site that doesn't work well with Chrome. I have Firefox as a backup. Generally, between the two, I have all my bases covered.

Pine Man 13:35 19 May 2018

Why would you want more than one?

I have yet to find ONE browser that works perfectly on every site so I have two on my Mac - Safari, which is absolutely superb on a Mac and, Firefox just in case.

compumac 16:16 19 May 2018

I have been trying Chrome this afternoon and find that both IE11 and Microsoft Edge will run the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test, but when trying to run it in Chrome, a dialogue box tells me that Flash is not in evidence on this PC.

Anyone clarify for me?

rdave13 16:25 19 May 2018

IE fan for many years. Firefox after that. Chrome for a while. Settled for Vivaldi. Chrome in sheep's clothing and highly adaptable for your needs with the plus of all Chrome's extensions. Tried Opera and various but not for my liking. On Win 10 if you have one favourite browser installed you always have another two to fall back on if anything goes awry.

rdave13 16:29 19 May 2018

I have been trying Chrome this afternoon and find that both IE11 and Microsoft Edge will run the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test, but when trying to run it in Chrome, a dialogue box tells me that Flash is not in evidence on this PC.

Anyone clarify for me?

Settings to allow Flash. Would leave as default and find another speed tester. Flash will disappear soon as it's a liability for security.

compumac 21:18 20 May 2018

I have tried Chrome for the last day and find it OK.

I realised that had tried it out some years ago back in the Win 7 days and could not get to grips with it at all at that time.

Gordon Freeman 09:04 21 May 2018

I use 2; Edge as primary browser & Firefox [quantum] as secondary. I generally find if a site won't work on one, it'll work ok on the other. I also use Ublock Origin on both to keep the ads away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 release date & specs

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 is 'Living Coral'

Can Macs Get Viruses & Do Macs Need Antivirus Software?

Comment baisser votre ping ?