choosing an portable hard drive for my laptop

traytray 13:50 02 Aug 2015

i got a laptop for university and was told that it would be a good idea to get and external hard drive for it but i have no idea which one to buy. my laptop is an HP pavillion notebook

Ian in Northampton 17:15 02 Aug 2015

Pretty much anything from a known manufacturer such as Iomega, Seagate, Western Digital. You can get cheaper - but when you're relying on it, it doesn't make sense to scrimp. As it's a laptop, portability will be important so you may want to find one that's powered from the USB port - although I think those are typically only for smaller size drives. If your laptop supports USB 3.0, look for that in a drive - data transfer will be much faster.

If you can afford it, btw, get two - and back up one to the other every so oftem if what you're storing is important to you.

mole1944 17:31 02 Aug 2015

I don't know about other makes but if you have a Western digital drive on or attached to your system you can get a free cut down version of Acronis clone software.If it's saving work lot's of options including e-mailing it to yourself,another idea go to Amazon and look up clickfree this just saves your data rather than cloning your drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 02 Aug 2015

Most external drives now will be USB3 (backwards compatible with USB2 just slower).

For a laptop you need a 2.5 inch drive for portability. I would suggest a WD Mypassport (has built in backup software essential for Uni work).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

Gorillaz: Reject False Icons review – plenty of music, but where's the art?

New Apple products predictions 2020

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !