choosing an portable hard drive for my laptop

traytray 13:50 02 Aug 2015

i got a laptop for university and was told that it would be a good idea to get and external hard drive for it but i have no idea which one to buy. my laptop is an HP pavillion notebook

Ian in Northampton 17:15 02 Aug 2015

Pretty much anything from a known manufacturer such as Iomega, Seagate, Western Digital. You can get cheaper - but when you're relying on it, it doesn't make sense to scrimp. As it's a laptop, portability will be important so you may want to find one that's powered from the USB port - although I think those are typically only for smaller size drives. If your laptop supports USB 3.0, look for that in a drive - data transfer will be much faster.

If you can afford it, btw, get two - and back up one to the other every so oftem if what you're storing is important to you.

mole1944 17:31 02 Aug 2015

I don't know about other makes but if you have a Western digital drive on or attached to your system you can get a free cut down version of Acronis clone software.If it's saving work lot's of options including e-mailing it to yourself,another idea go to Amazon and look up clickfree this just saves your data rather than cloning your drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 02 Aug 2015

Most external drives now will be USB3 (backwards compatible with USB2 just slower).

For a laptop you need a 2.5 inch drive for portability. I would suggest a WD Mypassport (has built in backup software essential for Uni work).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The new Xbox is called the Xbox Series X

The best new design books

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Amazon : plein de r├ęductions sur des produits Logitech G