CHKDSK problem

muddypaws 20:01 15 Jan 2007

Win. XP Home SP2.
For the last couple of days when I boot up the PC tries to do a CHKDSK when the first windows screen comes up. The blue screen only lasts for a second then the PC reboots and goes through the same sequence for ever unless I hit the space bar within that second. It then boots and operates as per normal. It started when I had a warning that 'C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\Felixti.TTF was corrupt and unreadable. Please run the CHKDSK facility'. And of course it wouldn't run.
This evening I started in safe mode and ran the check successfully and only one minor file was corrected. Can't remember which. Since then I have re-booted and it still goes through the same procedure unless I hit a key.
I have scanned the 'Fonts' folder with several programmes and nothing found.
I am nolonger getting any warning in the tray re corrupt files etc.
I have re booted from G ( a Norton Ghost back up) with no problem.
Any advice please. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:17 15 Jan 2007

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294)
click here
Disable Autochk
click here

muddypaws 20:40 15 Jan 2007

Fruit Bat.
Thanks for your reply, but being only just a bit above novice level I am a bit wary of fiddling with the registry. No other less hazardous ( for me) solution I suppose?

muddypaws 09:16 16 Jan 2007

Fruit Bat.
Did another chkdsk last night and this morning it booted normally.
I will leave thread open until tomorrow and if OK will resolve it.
Thanks. Will keep your suggestions on file.

[email protected] 09:51 16 Jan 2007

Try running a basic system file check:
Open My Computer > right click your drive (probably C) > select Properties > Tools > Error checking > Check now. Tick the top box > Start, and then follow instructions and leave it until it is finished.
If that cures nothing, try running a full system file check but you may be asked for your installation CD:
Start > Run. Type "SFC /SCANNOW" exactly as written without the quotes [note the space between sfc and /] then click OK. Follow instructions.
To anyone else following this thread, I have observed from experience, sometimes Windows won't accept lower case and sometimes won't accept upper case (capitals or small letters), so if one doesn't work try the other ;-)

muddypaws 10:47 16 Jan 2007

Thanks [email protected] Keep yours in mind too.
Have done two restarts today--both OK.
Done today's Ghost backup to my external and booted OK from there. And then C booted OK.
As I said--will leave thread open till tomorrow.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts