Chillblast v Cougar

fazer 23:51 28 Jan 2009

Up until yesterday, I was very close to placing an order with Cougar Extreme but after doing a final check on the price of the machine I want, I have noticed that the price of their Intel E8600 processor has gone up £40 sometime over the past couple of weeks.

So after reading PC advisor, I thought I would look around again and then compared Cougars price for the same spec computer as Chillblasts Fusion Osiris ("Best Buy" - Pc Advisor)- same RAM, hard drive, OS, graphics card etc. Cougar comes out at £749 but thats without a monitor - not that I need one - which is the same price as Chillbast with a monitor. I am awaiting Chillblasts response to their amended monitor-free price but as you can see, their price will uncut Cougars by I would expect, a considerable amount of money.

So my question is guys, taking into account everyones favoured opinion of Cougar, should I still go with them or is Chillblast just as good and worth going with based purely on their prices?

fazer 00:02 29 Jan 2009

oops! Cougar price should read £724

Snec 01:25 29 Jan 2009

Well, for what this is worth, I have bought several computers from Cougar for myself and for others and until they get something totally wrong I would not even consider purchasing a computer from elsewhere even if the price worked out a bob or two more. If they were miles out on price then that would be a different matter of course. I would rather buy from a company that I know is good than risk money with an unknown quantity.

Chillblast may be as good, or better, than Cougar for all I know. I have no personal knowledge of their machines and have no reason to doubt them but Cougar are the best I've ever dealt with.

gazzaho 02:25 29 Jan 2009

I have a Chillblast juggernaut and can say I'm quite happy with it, the only complaint I have with Chillblast is they don't communicate a lot during the sale, you place your order and just wait for the machine, there isn't a lot of feedback from them. My machine arrived a few days outside the quoted time but compared to some other companies I've read where weeks and even months go by before delivery a few days is nothing. The build quality is fine and the components are top shelf I did however have to install some drivers on receiving the machine, mouse and sound card to be exact, so far I'm happy with the machine and apart from a lack of communication it's been a painless purchase.

The proof with any company though is when things go wrong and so far I haven't had to test their Customer Support, touch wood, and I hope I never have to.

daveeb 15:19 29 Jan 2009

Exactly as Snec says, in my opinion Cougar are worth every penny. Even if they aren't the absolute cheapest they're still very competitive. I certainly intend to get my next pc from them.

citadel 17:09 29 Jan 2009

the price of cpu, motherboards, etc, imported from the far east has gone up due to the pound being worth less.

johnnyrocker 19:39 29 Jan 2009

i have a cougar recently bought and apar from having to upgrade graphics drivers on switch on i find little problems apart from the odd niggle

johnny

fazer 22:19 29 Jan 2009

Thanks guys. Cougar it is then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?