chicken-egg situation

gedr 14:53 25 Jan 2005

I have always had AV on a cd, now if I have avg it will be a download, I think, as the computer is new I will have to get connected and then go online to get the download, how much will I be at risk between those two actions.

Cheers, gedr

Sethhaniel 14:57 25 Jan 2005

as the AVG when first run will spot any nasties that sneak in in the meantime ;)
which unless youre very unlucky will be none ;)

Computerdope 14:57 25 Jan 2005

of downloading on to the computer your using, then transfering cia cd etc

[email protected] 14:58 25 Jan 2005

Assuming you have XP - enable the XP Firewall. This should be sufficient protection for the period you go online/download your AV/and come offline. Even if you picked up a virus in the short time you now have your AV to run ;-)

Diemmess 14:58 25 Jan 2005

Quite safe. There should be no risk whatsoever if you approach the home address "by the front door" and simply download.......Obviously avoid any and every blandishment and distraction which though unlikely to pop up, has no business doing so.

Another safeguard would be to have something like Zone Alarm running, because it will show exactly waht is trying to connect with you on a Yes/No basis.

gedr 09:36 26 Jan 2005

Thanks everyone for your replies, I feel more confident now.

gedr.

Chezdez 09:47 26 Jan 2005

on that note, you may feel better if you make a backup copy of the installation files on a CD or seperate harddrive, so that if you ever need to format, you can AVG installed straight away, and then get straight onto updating :D

Chezdez 09:47 26 Jan 2005

on that note, you may feel better if you make a backup copy of the installation files on a CD or seperate harddrive, so that if you ever need to format, you can AVG installed straight away, and then get straight onto updating :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?