Cheap micro atx motherboard and CPU bundles

PhillyG76 07:24 28 Jan 2018

Hi, I’ve posted a lot of questions about upgrading my old HP Pavilion P6205. So far increased the ram to the max 4GB and fitted a Nvidia GT710, which is certainly an improvement on the built in Intel GPU. But it can still struggle trying to play GTA IV on decent graphics settings. A lot of people have said I should change the CPU from the Intel E8600 3.3GHZ dual core to an Intel qx9650. But I was also thinking of getting a second hand motherboard and using my current CPU and DDR3 ram, and then increasing it to the maximum 8GB. But have seen other more modern micro atx boards for around £70 brand new, but they’re for the Intel LGA1151 socket CPU’s. And to get a processor that’s at least a quadcore and seems to noticeable step up from what I have, I’m looking at least £130, and then possibly having to replace the memory to DDR4.

So I was considering getting a secondhand Asus board that had the same Intel G41 chipset, so I could use my current CPU, but would allow me to add an extra 4GB of ram, has a 1GB/sec Ethernet instead of 100MB/sec and would allow overclocking. Then as time goes on can fit a quad core (secondhand), and maybe upgrade the GPU from the Nvidia GT710 to the GT1030. But in a few years it’ll seem like I’ve not really progressed. Can anyone recommend good motherboard and CPU bundles (maybe I’ve not looked enough at secondhand ones), if I was able to find both for not much more than £100, then I wouldn’t be too bothered if It meant starting again and having to buy DDR4 memory. Thanks in advance people.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple