changing search engine in address bar in IE7?

PC_HelpMe 17:06 26 Apr 2010

Hi folks,

How do I change the search engine when I type something in the address bar in IE7 and will it be the same if I have IE8?

Woolwell 17:40 26 Apr 2010
  PC_HelpMe 18:23 26 Apr 2010

Thanks for this. I tried your link and it says that Google is my default search. I have just noticed that when I click on enter to start the search, it starts off as Google, but then the results that come up are for Talk Talk! Any ideas?

Woolwell 19:44 26 Apr 2010

Do you have a Talk Talk toolbar installed?

PC_HelpMe 20:15 26 Apr 2010

No it is just the standard one that comes with IE. I have been trying to find add ons that may have something to do with it - but can find nothing to do with Talk Talk!

Woolwell 22:02 26 Apr 2010

Bit stuck by that. Try changing it to Bing and see what happens and then change back to Google.

Sea Urchin 22:10 26 Apr 2010

Looks like you are 25 years ahead of me :@)

click here

T I M B O 22:18 26 Apr 2010

1) Open IE
2) Click Tools then internet options.
3) You will now see the home page with the house that has a blue roof. Just below this is a white box, you may already have Google listed there. If you wish you can have just the one there or have as many as you like. Just put a click next to the existing link there and hit the enter key and type in ur web page then click apply.

I think this is what you are after.

Sea Urchin 10:29 27 Apr 2010

That sets Google as the Home Page - but Jayzee33 is wanting to set the default search engine in the address bar.

Woolwell 10:37 27 Apr 2010

I've just noticed that you stated that you click on enter to start the search. Where are you clicking on enter? I have moved on to IE8 but I think it is the same as IE7 and in the search box on the address bar there isn't an enter but a magnifying glass and find.

T I M B O 11:44 27 Apr 2010

1) Go to "Control Panel"
2) Click on "Internet options"
3) Make sure that you are on the general tab. (Default)
4) Look for Search & click on "Settings"
5) You should now be in "Manage Add-ons" Bottom left click "Find more search providers"
6) Click on the one you require & follow the prompts.
7) Reboot everything & hey presto !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?