changing registered name on Windows

  Rogerfredo 12:22 19 Jul 2004

I have recently aquired an old PC off a friend, bits of which I have used to build another PC for sale.
One of the working parts I used was the hard drive which had Windows ME installed on it.
Since the old PC is "scrap", I believe that I can legally use this os for the new PC.
However, I do not want to sell the unit when my friends name is displayed as the registered owner.
Anyone know how this can be changed?
I have tried setting up from the CD but it retains the old name, even when asking for the serial number! Since his windows ME CD is an upgrade , and I do not have Windows 98, I cannot do a format and clean install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9