Changing the password on my BT Hub 5

Border View 22:26 24 Jun 2017
Answered

I run with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. I use a BT Hub 5. I've read that in addition to Virgin hub having a security risk older BT hub do too.

My question is - Is my BT hub 5 classed as old; does it pose a security risk to my system (I use an ethernet cable to connect to my main computer); and if I need to change the password, is it the Wireless password or the Admin Password for the Hub Manager which needs changing, if it does how do I do it.

Many thanks for reading this, I look forward to your response.

rdave13 23:33 24 Jun 2017

Be very careful if you change your wi-fi password and admin password using BT. If anything happens and you have changed the default settings in the Hub then I would imagine that BT would put the onus on you. BT is your ISP so ask them how secure the Hub 5 is. Record the answer - better with an email reply.

lotvic 13:51 25 Jun 2017

venerable = accorded a great deal of respect, especially because of age, wisdom, or character

perhaps Lorraine Baines-McFly meant vulnerable

Border View 14:10 25 Jun 2017

Many thanks for responding everyone. Think I shall let sleeping dogs lay. In the meanwhile I'll look to see if there's a BT Forum to see if this question has been raised there.

Border View 14:31 25 Jun 2017
Answer

Well, Deepthi from BT tells me I should change both my Wireless password and Admin password every two months. When I asked if this meant my HH5 was insecure he indicated "Not really, BT will make sure all the customers getting secured connections. However, in order to protect you from any unwanted activities that was my suggestion for you."

If I loose the new password HH5 and HH4 have a restore to default setting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs