Changing ISP Provider

  [DELETED] 10:03 03 Nov 2003

Anyone know if it's best to cancel existing provider first or order with new provider first.
Pipex have told me to cancel with BT first then order from them.Don't want to end up with no connection for weeks.What do you think ?


  Stuartli 10:19 03 Nov 2003

Why not just set up with both on a temporary basis and then cancel your original ISP?

At least you will be able to use the Net and also contact Pipex as required to sign on etc.

You can have as many ISPs as you wish - I use both Pipex and Tiscali.

  Stuartli 10:20 03 Nov 2003

I'm presuming you are talking about a dialup connection and not broadband.

  [DELETED] 10:23 03 Nov 2003

If your existing provider is pay as you go, then keep it there as a backup.

  [DELETED] 10:59 03 Nov 2003

Sorry should have said broadband.Don't have dialup modem.

  johnnyrocker 11:16 03 Nov 2003

you can have only 1 isp one one number you will have a downtime of whatever pipex lead time is plus 5 working days for bt to remove your adsl suggest getting dial up in meantime one of theses 30 days free jobbies should do it?


  [DELETED] 11:21 03 Nov 2003

Or Metronet do a migration service and only charge for b/b useage (not monthly set charge)click here My last mth's bill was under ?11.

  [DELETED] 11:54 03 Nov 2003

I have a very old AST computer with a 28K internal modem that i will drag out of the cupboard.It will be going back to the dark ages but will do as a fill in.

  spuds 21:02 03 Nov 2003

Be very carefull. Cancelling one service to another provider,can lead to a delay on re-connection to the new service.So you may have no internet service for a time.You could also end up with a double billing situation until final changeover.Make sure you retain all emails/correspondense, should problems appear.

  Stuartli 08:47 04 Nov 2003

You'll also have to pay another activation fee unless your new ISP will do it for you.

  [DELETED] 09:40 04 Nov 2003

Pipex will pay the activation (migration) fee if you are changing to a comparable service with them but if you are upgrading it becomes more complicated.Anyway Pipex contacted me yesterday and said BT were refusing to let me migrate to them and BT would not give them a reason.I though it would be easy to change your ISP but it seems not in my case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best computer security tips

This fantastic short film is packed with hidden TV and film references

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Soundcore Spirit X d’Anker