Changing computer "name"

[email protected] 16:10 11 Aug 2003

I was given a PC - Compaq Presario running Windows 98, and it retains their first name as the computer "name". e.g. as stated if one runs Belarc advisor. How can I change this windows 98, computer "name", to my own?

Andy

Legolas 16:16 11 Aug 2003

I am not sure about 98 but in XP you go to control panel and click 'system' and the window that opens has a 'computer name' tab you can then change it from there.

I am not sure about 98 but in XP you go to control panel and click 'system' and the window that opens has a 'computer name' tab you can then change it from there.

Legolas 16:17 11 Aug 2003

what happened there

Legolas 16:19 11 Aug 2003

click here this should give you the answer

sil_ver 16:19 11 Aug 2003

clicky fingers? :-))

alcudia 16:54 11 Aug 2003

Go to Control Panel\Network and click the Identification tab.
Change the name there.

[email protected] 09:36 12 Aug 2003

Thanks. When I open up "network" in the settings folder, I get a message "Network is not complete. Do you want to continue" There is no identification tab, only a single "configuration". What can I do?

Andy

alcudia 12:22 12 Aug 2003

Don't know, never seen that. Looks like someone in the past has bombed badly.
Another way is to choose Start\Run Type regedit.
Take great care in here, do not change anything except the following or you will end up with and expensive ornament.
Expand the key named HKEY_CURRENT_USER. There should be a subfolder named Network. There should be a subfolder to this named recent and then a folder named User.
Open this folder and change the name.
If the keys are missing, once you have regedit open go to the edit menu and click Find.
Type in the computer name you want to change. The key should be found and you can change it there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?