Changing C: Drive with Acronis

IClaudio 08:48 26 Nov 2008

Three years ago, the 'huge' [sic] 150-gig C: drive on my new computer seemed to be big enough to last for the life of the machine - but now, I'm bumping along, continually trying to find enough room to run Vista (I never quite manage, about 15 gigs free space is as much as I can free up, even after moving all the games/audio/video and data to assorted external drives).

The postman's bringing me a shiny 1TB disc, which I intend to use as my new C:, copying the present one with Acronis.

First, will the demo version be enough to make a Clone (which is what I assume I'll need to do?) or should I get the full version?

And once I've made the clone, will the OS run from the new C: as it does now? If it does, can I re-jig the partitions using Acronis or should I use Vista for that?

TIA for your comments.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:48 26 Nov 2008

Not sure if the demo version will actually do what you need.

What make is your new drive?
The drive manufacturers often have a free cut down version of Acronis / partition software on their sites to do what you want.

IClaudio 10:41 26 Nov 2008

It's a Samsung SpinThing, arrived 10 mins ago, but sadly, no cable with it...

I'll peruse their site now, thanx, hadn't thought of that

I think the main thing missing from the demo is the Incremental Backup.

IClaudio 17:34 30 Nov 2008

Installed the Samsung, and Cloned my original C: Drive to the Samsung. Then re-booted and changed the Samsung to be the Primary Boot. Hey Presto, a nice shiny new C: Drive with a Lunar Landscape of space - and everything's much faster as a result.

I was so impressed with Acronis that I bought the full version before I started, and it was very good, doing everything I wanted - it cloned the original drive and increased the partition sizes relatively.

I'll keep my original 150G drive as a backup in case the Samsung falls over.

I'd recommend Acronis and I'd recommend the Samsung 1TB drive :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?