Changing the boot priority in bios

bumpkin 19:52 14 Dec 2016

May sound obvious but I can't seem to do it. Win10, Asus board, UEFI Bios. PC will only boot if I enter Bios and select it (the required one)otherwise it tries to boot from other drives which are non bootable and gives error messages. It is at the bottom of available devices and I want it to be the first option.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:07 14 Dec 2016

when you change the boot order you need to "save and exit" usually F10

bumpkin 15:44 15 Dec 2016

Thanks Fruit bat, I realize that but I can't seem to change it to start with. I can highlight it and exit with F10 but next boot reverts back.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 15 Dec 2016

Can you select it and use the arrow keys to move it up the boot order?

bumpkin 17:58 15 Dec 2016

No I can't which is the confusing bit, i have done this many times before. I can select it OK with the arrow keys but not move it to the top. If I select it first by clicking it goes straight into booting. For the moment I have disconnected the other drives so it has no option but that has to be a temp measure.

bumpkin 15:12 16 Dec 2016

I am still having problems with this. The first drive (only one at the time) is SSD Kingston. I have now connected a Western Digital HDD which is a copy of the SSD as a backup.

Now it will boot from the HDD unless I chose the Kingston SSD in BIOS.

BIOS reads as follows.

Windows Boot Manager (WDC)

Windows Boot Manager

P3 WDC

P4 Kingston

bumpkin 22:12 16 Dec 2016

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:17 17 Dec 2016

Put the SSD in the lowest numbered sata port.

bumpkin 17:01 17 Dec 2016

Thank, I will give that a try, only just looked in today.

bumpkin 17:40 18 Dec 2016

Done with a bit of skulduggery but I still can't change it is bios which should be easy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 18 Dec 2016

if SSD is in lowest port then reset BIOS to defaults and it should then bot from SSd first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?