Changing behaviour of CTRL-ENTER

montyburns 15:55 21 May 2006

You know when you type in a word into the address bar in IE, and then hit CTRL+ENTER, it completes the "www." at the start and adds ".com" at the end?

Been looking for a way to make this autofill ".co.uk" instead, for ages without success. Today I found it! (Thanks to VoG who pointed me to click here)

There's info there and a link to the source on click here

For those happy to change the Registry (and don't blame me if you try it and it messes it up! Back up first!) , here's the solution:-

1. Create the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\QuickComplete.
2. Create the following registry value in the key above: QuickComplete REG_SZ click here
3. Whatever is in the address bar will be inserted where the '%s' is. This example would complete 'microsoft' to 'click here'.
4. Please note that the QuickComplete string is currently limited to 64 characters.

Sorry if this has been posted before but chuffed to find it and wanting to share!!!!!!

montyburns 16:08 21 May 2006

I'll post the above again, with alterations, as I've noticed the site has changed some stuff which makes it not make sense!! Replace "yoursuffix" with "co.uk"

1. Create the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\QuickComplete.
2. Create the following registry value in the key above: QuickComplete REG_SZ click here
3. Whatever is in the address bar will be inserted where the '%s' is. This example would complete 'microsoft' to 'click here'.
4. Please note that the QuickComplete string is currently limited to 64 characters.

montyburns 16:09 21 May 2006

BAH!

I give up!

Just click here instead! :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)