Change OS From Linux to Windows on HP Probook

Jebel Tariq 14:09 06 Sep 2019

This may be a silly question to ask my apologies. I have a friend who owns a HP ProBook with Linux as the OS, I personally know nothing about Linux and don't even know which version of Linux is installed in the HP Probook, who wishes to install Microsoft Office 365 on the HP ProBook. My question is if it is possible to how to go about uninstall Linux and install Windows 7? I would then update to a free Windows 10 Update which is what I am most familiar with. Any help would be most appreciated.

Jollyjohn 22:24 07 Sep 2019

Hi. Apologies for not replying sooner, I thought someone else would have jumped in with these points. Did the PC have W10 installed originally? If not, you will need to buy a W10 licence, the free upgrade will not work..

Have you thought about using Libreoffice or Openoffice, both of which are free and easily addedd to Linux

Jebel Tariq 00:43 08 Sep 2019

The reason to try and install a Windows OS is to install Office 365 so that the owner of the pc can use access Word, Excel and Outlook, so that she can access her works emails from home without entering credentials on the web apps. The HP Pro already has LibreOffice which the owner does not like. If Windows 7 with its own key is installed it is still possible, at time of typing this, to update it to Windows 10 with an in place update, as I have managed it on another laptop a few days ago!

Jebel Tariq 00:45 08 Sep 2019

Further to my post above, I just want to know if it is possible to install Windows 7 in a HP ProBook running Linux?

Jollyjohn 07:42 08 Sep 2019

Yes you could install W7 assuming you have a disc and a licence key. Linux will be replaced by W7. What are the specifications of the HP, will it be able to run W10?

Secret-Squirrel 09:21 08 Sep 2019

I just want to know if it is possible to install Windows 7 in a HP ProBook...............

The HP Recovery Manager may do that for you so turn the laptop off, turn it back on then start tapping the F11 key quickly to launch the utility.

A couple of notes:

1) The Recovery Manager will delete all user data so make sure that you've backed up all of the user's valuable files first.

2) Microsoft support for Windows 7 will end in January so Office 365 will have a finite lifespan on that laptop. You may even find that you can't install it in the first place.

Jebel Tariq 00:23 09 Sep 2019

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I will convey them to the owner of the pc and let her decide what she wants to do in the circumstances.

Jebel Tariq 00:25 09 Sep 2019

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I will convey them to the owner of the pc and let her decide what she wants to do in the circumstances.

wee eddie 09:45 09 Sep 2019

Jebel, it might be sensible to ask "Why" Linux was installed on the ProBook before moving on.

Unless the ProBook was completely reformatted before installing Linux, it might be possible to return it to its original configuration without adding any extra software as most HPs have a Hidden Partition which contains Windows and various other bits of software.

Jebel Tariq 13:56 09 Sep 2019

I need to verify with the owner if the Pro Book had Linux installed when first purchased or was it installed after it was purchased. I know nothing on Linux or which version it is or how to enter settings or the BIOS in Linux in fact wouldn't know where to start in Linux. All I have seen on this ProBook is that it has Chromium installed. And for that reason I may refuse to help the owner and tell her to take it to someone who knows about Linux.

Flat Earther 14:13 09 Sep 2019

"you will need to buy a W10 licence, the free upgrade will not work."

Free upgrade to Win10 is still available. click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)