Change CD-Writer drive to DVD/CD Writer Drive

Chris 17:26 26 Aug 2004

I am using an HP Pavilion Computer with seperate DVD-Rom Drive and CD-Writer Drive. Will I be able to change the CD/Writer drive and replace it with a DVD/CD Writer drive, to enable me to back up copies of DVD,s and transfer my Videos etc to DVD Disc.Will I be able to copy from my DVD Rom straight to the DVD Copier

Stuartli 17:44 26 Aug 2004

Replacing a CD rewriter with a DVD rewriter is just a straight swap - make sure that the rewriter is set to Master and the ROM drive to Slave; any such drive only uses the basic Windows CDROM driver.

It's the burning program such as Nero that does the work...:-)

Nero does handle DVD but whether it will be all you require is for others to say - I've only got a CD rewriter and always use the Image (to HDD) method for maximum quality.

SEASHANTY 20:09 26 Aug 2004

You can not record a DVD directly from a DVD-ROM drive to a DVD Writer. It will not work and in any case most DVD's have copyright software encoded on the disc to prevent this. With VHS tape you need a
capture card in your PC to capture the video files onto the hard disc. You then need a software programme to transfer these files to the DVD writer. Programmes like Nero or Sonic MY DVD will accomplish this but it takes a very long time to transfer video files.
click here

click here
The easiest way to transfer VHS recordings to DVD is to use a Home DVD recorder.

Mister Splendid©®™! 20:24 26 Aug 2004

You can record a dvd directly from a dvd-rom drive to dvd-rw drive. I have done it using a trial version of a program that I tried but did not keep owing to it's high price and the likelyhood I would not use it much. It was some months ago and I cannot remember what it was called, but look hard enough and you will find it. The software is out there.

Chris 12:38 29 Aug 2004

Many thanks for the replies received. All have been of help to me, and at least I now have some idea of where to go from here

Chris 12:38 29 Aug 2004

Many thanks for the replies received. All have been of help to me, and at least I now have some idea of where to go from here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?