CDRW and write protect

Beth 15:51 20 Sep 2003

I've just started using CDRW's for backups. The drive came with Nero software.

The first time I used it the disc ended up being write protected. A quick search on this forum and I found out how to get my disc back but now I need to know how I managed to write protect it and how to avoid doing it again. Any advice would be appreciated.

seedie 16:14 20 Sep 2003

Did you use InCD for your backups?

CD

Beth 17:03 20 Sep 2003

seedie

Yes. That was what came with the drive.

The Sack 17:12 20 Sep 2003

InCD doesnt write protect CD-RW and it doesnt offer any option to do so.

seedie 18:44 20 Sep 2003

It might be better if you used CD-R media and multi session writing.

CD-RW can be troublesome

krypt1c 18:53 20 Sep 2003

Agree with seedie re. CD-RW. They aren't really intended for long-term storage.

minter 19:36 20 Sep 2003

Is your disc write protected or does it tell you that a file is "read only" when you try to access it.

Had a problem with the latter, cured it by re-installing InCD.

Beth 19:57 20 Sep 2003

I don't know what I got up to with this! When I tried to update the backup, the disc kept being ejected and the message was that there was no more room on it. I checked it via 'My Computer' and it showed up as being full, but I know there was less than 50Mb on it. I thought it had been write protected because that appeared on the screen one time while I was roaming around the software trying to find out what was wrong.

What's multi session writing? I thought you could only write to a CD-R once. That's why we got CD-RW's.

seedie 20:21 20 Sep 2003

A lot of us use Nero. You can write repeatedly to a CDR until it's full. You can't delete anything on it though. I do monthly backups to one - no problem. Get a good quality boxful, not 50p a dozen at the market:0)

Beth 19:05 22 Sep 2003

Seedie

I had a look at the software today and I found the bit about multi session. I did notice it before but assumed that it was to do with storing music, so I just ignored it. (If your screen is going pink, don't worry. That's just the reflection from my red face!)

Thanks for the tip about CD-R discs being more stable that -RW's. Lost backups - that doesn't bear thinking about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?