C:Drive boot problem on Dell Dimension 5100

bovthedog 13:33 05 Jul 2018

It's an old PC but runs XP fine but I need a larger capacity hard drive. So I get a compatible SATA drive and make a USB boot from an ISO of XP set BIOS to boot from CD/USB and I get 'no boot drive found'. So no problem, I thought,and reverted to the original C:drive, reset BIOS to boot from this drive. But I got 'no boot drive found'. The only way I can get it to boot is to use an XP recovery disc and when it comes to what do you want to do I enter exit and the C; dive boots. Any ideas why my original C: drive won't boot?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:26 05 Jul 2018

Did you use something loke Rufus to make the USB drive bootable? a XP iso is just not going to work.

bovthedog 11:36 07 Jul 2018

Thanks Fruit Bat I did use Rufus but when i checked compatibility XP was ok. I note that latest Rufus starts at Win 7. Can you explain why my USB boot won't work? I suspect there is a boot problem with my PC as my original C drive won't boot without recovery disc. Time for the great computer skip in the sky i think, which is a pity because I'm addicted to XP.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:58 07 Jul 2018

I've been trying to post a long answer in your thread but it will not complete .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:59 07 Jul 2018

Try starting a new thread and explain why, I'll see if I can post to that.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)