C:Drive boot problem on Dell Dimension 5100

bovthedog 13:33 05 Jul 2018

It's an old PC but runs XP fine but I need a larger capacity hard drive. So I get a compatible SATA drive and make a USB boot from an ISO of XP set BIOS to boot from CD/USB and I get 'no boot drive found'. So no problem, I thought,and reverted to the original C:drive, reset BIOS to boot from this drive. But I got 'no boot drive found'. The only way I can get it to boot is to use an XP recovery disc and when it comes to what do you want to do I enter exit and the C; dive boots. Any ideas why my original C: drive won't boot?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:26 05 Jul 2018

Did you use something loke Rufus to make the USB drive bootable? a XP iso is just not going to work.

bovthedog 11:36 07 Jul 2018

Thanks Fruit Bat I did use Rufus but when i checked compatibility XP was ok. I note that latest Rufus starts at Win 7. Can you explain why my USB boot won't work? I suspect there is a boot problem with my PC as my original C drive won't boot without recovery disc. Time for the great computer skip in the sky i think, which is a pity because I'm addicted to XP.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:58 07 Jul 2018

I've been trying to post a long answer in your thread but it will not complete .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:59 07 Jul 2018

Try starting a new thread and explain why, I'll see if I can post to that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans