CDDVDW requires driver

Ventad 16:26 05 Aug 2008

O/S Vista for some reason after updating NERO 7 Essentials, everytime I boot up I get the message "TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S202J ATA DEVICE needs a driver" if I click Locate and install it cant find one, If I click either 'Ask again later' or 'don't show this message again' the new disc shown in My Computer as CD Drive E:\ and not CDDVD-W disapears and in Device Manager under DVD CD ROM Drives the item TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S202J ATA DEVICE also dissapears and reappears in other devices.

If I uninstall from Other Devises and reboot it appears in the DVD CD ROM Drives. when it is there and check the properties it says this item is running normally.
any ideas please

Ventad 16:41 05 Aug 2008

I have uninstalled Nero and reinstalled and still get the same

Ventad 16:12 06 Aug 2008

Thanks for that but I had already been to that site, my computer is a made up one, it (the CDDVDW Drive) has been working ok since last november. I have dowloaded the nero 7 clean tool used that and then loaded it on again but it is still the same. If when asked to search for driver it cannot find it, if I click do not ask again it removes from 'my computer' and from dvd drives in device manager to other devices and removes the driver???

Ventad 16:40 06 Aug 2008

Just looked Nero scout is not on its own it is in Nero7 essentials\tools.
Looking at the link even if I went for the £20 DVDW it still comes with Nero.

woodchip 16:47 06 Aug 2008

I think as above you will find the DVD driver is linked to Nero. If its a SE cut down NERO that was supplied with the Drive then you have to use another Program to Write DVD's or buy the NERO driver

sunny staines 16:48 06 Aug 2008

i was advised to steer well clear of nero7 on vista apparently causes many problems and get nero8, oem versions are very cheap under £10

Ventad 16:54 06 Aug 2008

The problem only started when I upgraded the firmware to SB02 the firmware does not seem to go back when I used system restore so I am sure it is a software problem. I thought that DVDW did not actually require a Driver.

Ventad 16:57 06 Aug 2008

I am on Vista

Ventad 17:01 06 Aug 2008

Thanks crosstrainer I am going to go through getting rid of nero again and using ther nero cleaning tool so I will not be on for some time thanks everybody

Ventad 16:06 07 Aug 2008

Everthing seems to be working ok now although 'my computer' shows the drive as a CD Drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Microsoft Paint's not dead

iMac 27in (2019) review

Les bons plans logiciels et services (2019)