CD/DVD drives causing total PC freezing

Jimbo Blue 12:48 17 May 2005

Hi, I'm tearing my hair out with this intermittent but frequent problem.
Have a Mesh pc running XP Pro SP2. When copying from my e drive (Sony DVD Rom DDU 1612) to f drive (Sony DVD RW U10A) drive sometimes all ok other times whole system freezes - no mouse - no keyboard - no task manager - nuffink! Have to power down, wait and power up. Sometimes problem gone, other times not. Am copying music CDs and DVDs (for back-up only I hasten to add!) For music am using Nero V6.6.0.3 and for DVDs DVD Cloner V2.40.
Believe I have latest updates for Nero and DVD Cloner but can't trace anything on the Sony site for updates to their disk drives!

Any help (in words of one syllable please) will be greatly appreciated.

Jimbo Blue

CLONNEN 14:06 17 May 2005

Copying from one cd drive to another is prone to problems. Especially if they are running off the same IDE cable. This is the case with most PCs.

It would be better to copy the data from the first cd drive to your hard drive and then copy it from there to the second cd drive. There is less chance of failure this way.

Alternatively you could try setting the burn speed to its lowest possible setting and see if that works for you.

CLONNEN 14:06 17 May 2005

Copying from one cd drive to another is prone to problems. Especially if they are running off the same IDE cable. This is the case with most PCs.

It would be better to copy the data from the first cd drive to your hard drive and then copy it from there to the second cd drive. There is less chance of failure this way.

Alternatively you could try setting the burn speed to its lowest possible setting and see if that works for you.

Jimbo Blue 15:17 17 May 2005

Hi Clonnen

Thanks for the interest and advice. I already copy to PC HDD as part of the process before copying to disk. So that does not appear to be the answer. The problem occurs sometimes almost immediately the disk drive door is closed (be it e or f drive) and on occasions just after initial copying of the master disk is started.

Jimbo Blue

Jimbo Blue 15:39 17 May 2005

Hi again

As a PS I also get the problem on occasion when I want to just read one disk, it's not only when copying although that is far more marked a problem.

Jimbo Blue

Caroll 15:47 17 May 2005

Try pulling out the cables of your cd/dvd, both the electrical and data, push them back tightly. I suspect cable problem.

Caroll 15:48 17 May 2005

Try pulling out the cables of your cd/dvd, both the electrical and data, push them back tightly. I suspect one cable problem.

Jimbo Blue 19:24 19 May 2005

Hi Caroll

Thanks for your info and advice but had already done this. But, nothing ventured nothing gained so ... carefully took the blessed lot apart and reassembled looking closely for bent pins and so on. No improvement at all. Have come to the conclusion it must be a hardware fault. Maybe?!

Regards

Jim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?