cd writing failure with XP

Wrinkly1 13:49 05 Dec 2005

Just like busses, I have no problems for ages then 2 come along!
Windows tells me it has encountered a problem copying to cd but only offers "retry" or "cancel" with no indication as to cause of problem
I am using XP with sp2 and an old, but up to now sufficient for my needs, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 with latest drivers.
Any sugestions ?

Smiler 14:00 05 Dec 2005

Have you tried media from a different manufacturer?
XP won't copy to DVDs so hope you're no trying to do this.
Have you got a dedicated cd writing program such as Nero that you can use?

Wrinkly1 14:22 05 Dec 2005

Now you know why I call myself Wrinkly1. People my age should stick to chalk and a blackboard !!

Yes I was using DVD, well they look the same!

Smiler 14:31 05 Dec 2005

It's ok I'm a silver surfer as well but I enjoy learning and also get great satisfaction from helping.
Why should we stick to chalk & a blackboard and let the youngsters have all the fun of the new technology

Smiler 14:32 05 Dec 2005

PS don't forget to tick the thread as solved ;-)

pj123 14:37 05 Dec 2005

Get yourself a copy of Nero 6 from:

click here

Scroll down and choose AC5097 at £6.87 plus postage.

This will burn to CDs and DVDs.

Wrinkly1 17:04 05 Dec 2005

OOOOPS !

ade.h 19:01 05 Dec 2005

"XP won't copy to DVDs so hope you're no trying to do this"

Eh? Works for me. I backup stuff to DVD+RW (or may be -RW, not sure at this moment) and Windows XP does it just fine. Once they've been formatted with Sonic, Windows writes directly to them.

Smiler 12:01 06 Dec 2005

A quote
"Windows XP doesn't contain built-in support for burning DVDs. However, Microsoft plans on including built-in support for DVD write capability in the next version of Windows." from here click here

If you are formatting the disc with sonic then you'll probably find that a sonic direct writing program is running in the background to write your dvd's

ade.h 15:43 06 Dec 2005

No it's not running at the time. I'd be aware of it from Task Manager (which I keep open most of the time). It is purely drag-and-drop. I select some folders, hit copy on the folder toolbar, select DVD-RAM drive(H:) and hit Copy. Then the folder/files are written directly to the disc. Apart from needing to format the DVD+RW first, the only other difference between this and the CD-writing that I normally do is that the files are copied directly to the disc, rather than passed to a temporary folder.

Smiler 18:36 06 Dec 2005

"Apart from needing to format the DVD+RW first, the only other difference between this and the CD-writing that I normally do is that the files are copied directly to the disc, rather than passed to a temporary folder."

Which again leads me to beleive that there is a program running that is writing to the dvd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?