cd-rw playing tricks??

niknax 23:11 03 Nov 2003

hi all
burning some web photo's today onto cd-r disk,
everything went okay until the drive,started beeping, every 10 seconds, next thing, the drawer
kept opening then shuting, then only opening slightly ajar, then i smelt the burning of a circuit board! yep it had burnt out! question is WHY!

Nicola

Diodorus Siculus 21:55 04 Nov 2003

Sounds like the fan went on the processor and your momo got fried... [no joking, Sherlock!)

But I suppose that it was a coincidence that it happened at the same time that you were burning a CD. Brings a new meaning to "burning" I suppose...

Giggle n' Bits 22:49 04 Nov 2003

At worst your fan over the processor or possibly the AGP card may have a fan and the fan must have failed. This would cause overheating and possibly burn out the proccessor rendering dead.

There is a possibilty that the Motherboard also may be effected. If the CPU is touch would ok, you will be wise just to have the CPU reseated with a new application of Thermal conductivity paste with a new HSF - Heatsink & Fan. Arund ?5 + but labour chrages from us guys.

Dependant on the age of the rest of the machine and anyother damage occured it would be a question of "Is it Viable, to carry out the repiar" ?

I personally render machines older than 3.5 years none viable.

Other people may disagree.

On newer motherboards there is CPU overheat protection, well there is on a decent M/board usually Asus A7V8X-X, MSI KT4V ultra's I could go on and write a book.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)