CD ROM NOT RECONISED BY PC

train dvr 20:42 16 Apr 2003

CAN ANYONE HELP MY SON HAS BEEN GIVEN AN OLD PC WITH WINDOWS 95 ON IT.AT FIRST IT WAS WORKING FINE BUT NOW WHEN YOU PUT A CD IN THE DRIVE IT DOES NOT RESPOND.WE ARE BOTH NEW TO COMPUTERS SO NOT TOO TECHNICAL THANKS.

MAJ 21:40 16 Apr 2003

It could be that the CD-ROM drive has died, train dvr, but before jumping to that conclusion, go to "My Computer" and with the CD in the drive, double click the drive's icon in "My Computer", see if it starts then. If not, try right clicking on the drive's icon and choose Explore from the menu, see if it displays anything.

Stuartli 23:01 16 Apr 2003

Firstly, you don't need to shout i.e. use capital letters..:-)

Secondly, I can't remember if Win95 had Auto Insert Notification or its equivalent, but you should be able to find (or install) CD player software.

When the CD Player is found or installed try playing an audio CD, which will indicate if the drive is OK or not.

If it has packed up you can buy a CD-ROM drive for between £12 and £15 these days. Just take out the old ones, note where the audio cable is inserted on the motherboard or sound card and replace it with the new one, before reconnecting the power supply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?