CD Rewriter Problem

tooter 15:33 20 Mar 2005

My CD Rewrite has worked OK for three years but now a strange fault has developed, it plays music CD’s OK, it plays CD’s that I have created using the rewriter both music and data, it plays games that need a CD in the drive to play OK, but it will not now recognize or play Data CD’s i.e. Encyclopaedia Britannica or load new game CD’s. If I click the drive to load the program from the install icon there is nothing there the disc looks empty. I have tried to load disc that loaded ok before but when I click the drive there are no files there either. Two months ago I replaced my DVD drive with a DVD rewriter I don’t know if that has got anything to do with it. Thanks for any help.

aceofbass 16:01 20 Mar 2005

Have you recently installed software for a flash drive or similar?
I found similar problems on my machine were cured after I removed software for a USB flash drive.

tooter 18:17 20 Mar 2005

I fitted a USB Viking 6 in 1 Flash memory card reader a few months ago.

aceofbass 16:05 21 Mar 2005

Try removing its software.
If you are running XP it will recognise the device without the risk of driver conflict.

Good luck!

tooter 17:00 21 Mar 2005

If I try access the CD I get a message saying to put a CD in the drive when there is a disk in the drive, If I then reboot the computer with the CD still in the drive the disc is recognised and it runs ok, but the InCD icon in the system tray has a yellow exclamation mark on it, but it disappears if I boot minus a disc in the drive. There was no software supplied with it just the rewriting software.I am running XP Pro. I have fitted another rewriter from computer that was working ok and it does the same.

rabies 17:19 21 Mar 2005

I have a similar problem where both my dvd rom drive and my dvd writer would not read data. I see that you are using InCD, so am/was I for a long time now. I store a lot of files on InCD formatted disks but couldn't access the disks. Eventually, I had to uninstall Incd and download InCD cleaner and then InCD Reader from nero.com. I still can't use InCD as I want to, but at least I can read the InCD disks and my drives work as they should. I don't know what's caused the problem but it only recently started playing up, even after downloading the latestest version. Good luck!

tooter 14:49 22 Mar 2005

I removed InCD Packet-Writing program I could then play CDs but I couldn’t Drag & Drop files so I reloaded Packet-Writing and fiddled with a few settings and rebooted and everything seems to be working ok. I don’t quite know what I did but I hope it keeps working. The problem defiantly lies with the InCD packet-Writing program but I do not know what was wrong. Thanks to anybody who tried to help.

FelixTCat 15:38 22 Mar 2005

Packet writing software has been iffy ever since packet writing software was invented. I would strongly recommend that you don't use it for anything that you seriously want to keep. Use it like a big floppy disk to move data from one pc to another. For anything else, use R for long-term and RW for short-term storage.

Better still, use DVD-RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts