CD drive tray shooting out and in.

Bowsprit 13:21 30 Jun 2004

Booting was taking about 3mins before it recognized drives and after another 5mins it asked for system disk.Put in system disk and after a long wait XP said it was inspecting setup and after another few mins drive tray with disk started crashing in and out so loudly i had to switch off.Tried it a few times but same thing happens.This is strange!

Graham ® 14:39 30 Jun 2004

First thing I would try is boot into safe mode by pressing F8 at start up. Take the disk out first.

Graham ® 14:49 30 Jun 2004

Could be a trojan click here

Bowsprit 17:08 30 Jun 2004

Been playing about with this for hours.Removed power cable from DVD Rom drive so that stopped it crashing about for the moment.Also found slave HDD is unbootable as well as it takes at least 10 minutes from powering up to tell you it's a disk boot failure.You have to press delete for a long time before bios opens but disks being recognized and also every time i enter bios date and time are wrong.

Flashed bios,cleared CMOS,changed battery,changed ribbon cable and downloaded WD datalifeguard which can't find either hard drive.No way to check for virus.I'm at a loss.

hugh-265156 17:40 30 Jun 2004

if devices on both ide channels cannot be detected after changing cables and you cannot see them in the bios then it sounds to me like the mobo has a fault. try the drives in another computer and if it can see them with it then replace mobo would be my next move.

Bowsprit 18:43 30 Jun 2004

Bios is displaying devices on both ide channels.The problem is that both hard disks are showing boot disk failure and the dvd-rom tray starts opening and shutting when power is applied and the boot process is taking 10mins +.

Bowsprit 18:45 30 Jun 2004

Bios is displaying devices on both ide channels.The problem is that both hard disks are showing boot disk failure and the dvd-rom tray starts opening and shutting when power is applied and the boot process is taking 10mins +.

hugh-265156 18:53 30 Jun 2004

it does sound like a faulty ide cable to me but as you have changed this....?

what were you last doing with the computer before this started to happen?

try downloading a hard disk diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturers and run from a floppy disk. i take it you have access to another computer to do this as you are posting here.

Bowsprit 19:50 30 Jun 2004

Already used WD lifeguard on both disks and it says they do not exist.I was trying to recover data from the slave disk at the time i think.But maybe bios involved as it has different details,date and time etc., every time i enter.

hugh-265156 20:05 30 Jun 2004

'I was trying to recover data from the slave disk at the time i think' can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by 'recover' were you having problems before this all started to happen?

dates and time/bios settings reset is normally a battery problem. have you flashed the bios? if you didnt flash the correct one then this may be your problem.

can you check the drives in a working computer?

Bowsprit 22:18 30 Jun 2004

I eventually found cause of the problem.Two USB connectors for front panel came with case and i only used one of them the other which had been fastened out of harms way(it is all metal)had come loose and was shorting out components on motherboard.Glad it's all over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?