ccleaner wipe free space segment

MJS WARLORD 17:49 20 Sep 2018

ok guys so you may think this is a dumb question but I honestly don't know the answer.

What exactly does the wipe free space segment of the program do , does it do a kind of defrag to close up empty spaces and if so do I need to do it on an ssd.

wee eddie 18:35 20 Sep 2018

As I understand it, the free space is that which has no files on it.

However, it could be full of deleted files. It is they that will be overwritten

john bunyan 18:43 20 Sep 2018

The more passes you choose the longer it takes - could be many hours. Sort of thing you do if selling. PC where you can keep the OS etc, delete your data and wipe the space. Not worth the bother for your PC on a day to day basis.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:37 20 Sep 2018

It overwrites with zeros, the space which windows has allocated as free space available to write files on.

If you delete a file windows just removes the first digit of the file name and removes it from the index thus windows no longer sees a file at that point.

This is why recovery software can get data back.

CCleaner overwrites the space with zeros, to securely delete you need a minimum of 3 passes, I have recently recovered files after a one pass with CCleaner.

MJS WARLORD 21:52 20 Sep 2018

thanks for your answers guys !

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs