CCleaner question

Bagsey 08:22 18 Aug 2008

I have been using CCleaner for some time now and have never had any trouble by just accepting the settings and wiping clean. However this moring I faced a message on bootup telling me that my Windows firewall was turned off. I went to the Windows Firewall link in the control panel and I could not open it. Therefore I did a system restore after remembering that I had run CCleaner last thing yesterday. All is now OK, but what I would like to know is what setting should I have, to stop this happening again.
Windows XP Pro Sp2.
I am sure that there is an expert on CCleaner out there.
Thanks for advice.

dogbreath1 08:38 18 Aug 2008

I don't think that CCleaner disabled your firewall.

Andsome 08:39 18 Aug 2008

I have NEVER known C Cleaner to turn off a firewall. I have used this program for longer than I care to remember without any problems whatsoever.

I am puzzled however as to why you are still using SP2 and have not installed SP3 by now.

Bagsey 09:12 18 Aug 2008

Like you I find it difficult to understand, but I cant think of anything that I did yesterday that could have caused my firewall to switch off. I spent hardly any time on my computer yesterday as I was busy doing other things. I checked my email and then just before bed I ran CCleaner. This morning I had the message telling me that the firewall was off.After much pondering I did a System restore to yesterday and all is now OK. But why did it go OFF ?? :-((
Andsome
Reason:- New computer in as supplied condition is the reason that I am still on SP2. What advantages does SP3 bring?? I tend to be a " If it ain't broke dont fix it" sort of person.

tullie 09:15 18 Aug 2008

And incidently,do not rey on the inbuilt firewall with XP.

Andsome 08:50 19 Aug 2008

SP3 has many security updates that are not and never will be in SP2. If you feel like that why bother with SP1 or SP2. These updates as I see it are issued for a reason.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?