Case fan short circuits system

palmy mike 14:09 22 Oct 2007

Hi, I have recently built a computer and everything works fine. The one problem I have is the case fan. It's built into the removable side panel. It came with a 4 pin power connector, and a mini 3 pin connector (which is too short to reach the motherboard). I hooked up the 4 pin power and when I turn on, everything fires up along with the fans LED lights, but the fan doesn't actually spin. I bought a little extension lead so that I can now reach the motherboard with the additional mini 3 pin connector. Now, when I turn on the system the fan moves slightly for a second then the power just seems to cut out.

Why is this happening? I can only assume that there isn't enough power coming from the PSU to include the fan. But, I have a hyper 570W PSU which should be ample!

I'm running AMD x2 6000, 2gb ram, 160gb hd, single 8800gts 320mb GPU, and the dvd unit, all on a ASUS M2N4 sli motherboard. Surely I have enough power no?

Any help welcome. Thanks. Mike

DieSse 14:23 22 Oct 2007

I think the fan must be faulty.

DieSse 14:23 22 Oct 2007

PS - yes, you have plenty of power.

keef66 14:35 22 Oct 2007

You have them both connected? I'd assume the 4 pin connector is for attachment to the psu if you want the fan running flat out all the time, and the 3 pin connector for attachment to the mobo if you want the fan speed monitored / controlled by software

palmy mike 14:45 22 Oct 2007

if I just connect the 4 pin, the LED comes on but no spin. If I try 4 pin and 3 pin together, it runs for a split second then cuts out, same outcome with just the 3 pin connected.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that the extension cable I bought for the short 3 pin wire to reach the motherboard is slightly thicker cable (like, almost unnoticeable). Would that cause a problem?

DieSse 14:48 22 Oct 2007

"the extension cable I bought for the short 3 pin wire to reach the motherboard is slightly thicker cable (like, almost unnoticeable). Would that cause a problem?"

None whatsoever.

DieSse 14:49 22 Oct 2007

Is the 4 pin connector a large white molex connector, such as goes the CD drives?

keef66 14:51 22 Oct 2007

does the mobo control the fan speed via software? Have you tried running the pc for a while to get things toasty to see if the fan kicks in?

Any info with the pc case / fan? Make, model etc??

palmy mike 14:57 22 Oct 2007

here is the case - click here

The 4 pin connector is a white molex. I have tried leaving it connected and played a demanding game for a couple of hours. The fan never kicked in even when performance was effected from the heat so I doubt it's software controlled

DieSse 15:01 22 Oct 2007

The fan is faulty if it won't run off a molex power connector.

DieSse 15:03 22 Oct 2007

It won't be software controleed unless it has a small 4-pin connector to connect to a suitable header on the motherboard.

3-pins only gives power and speed sensing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?